Monday, July 12, 2010

My baby can sign! (Your baby can sign too!)

Our just-turned-one-year-old baby girl Rysse is my "newest" student! :) I admit that I have not been as "obsessed" with teaching Rysse as I was with Tim, wherein I tried my best to have a special "learning time" with him, even when he was still a toddler. For practical purposes, with Rysse, I have incorporated our "lessons" in our everyday routines, especially during our special "Mama and Rysse" bonding time, while Papa and Tim have theirs. :)

And so it was sheer joy for me when I discovered that Rysse now knows some of the basic baby signs, even if I have not been so consistent in teaching her. She now knows how to sign "milk", "more", "eat", "no", "yes", "go", and "poop." (Though it's funny sometimes her "poop" sign looks like her "milk" or "dede" sign! hahahaha). Anyway, I AM SO PROUD. And grateful to the LORD. :) How amazing kids can be! We just have to tap that potential in them! :)

All you Mamas out there, YOUR BABY CAN SIGN TOO! I didn't buy any expensive products or books but mostly got some signing tips from babycare books given during the baby shower held for Tim waaay back in 2006 (yes, Tim used to sign too! And he still remembers the signs I taught him up to this day!) and also from online sites such as http://www.babies-and-sign-language.com/ and http://www.fun-baby-games-online.com/free-baby-sign-language.html. Just google "free baby signs" and choose the site that's most appropriate for you!

We also found these DVDs helpful. Perhaps they can be of help to you too! :) Happy teaching and happy signing! :)

No comments: